Lake Keith Resort

Hobbs Bright (left), then Mayor of Cave Springs, with E. L. Keith (right) standing under Lake Keith Resort sign

As many of you know, the lake in Cave Springs has held several names over the years.  According to an article originally published in Bella Vista’s newspaper, The Weekly Vista, the property was purchased in 1947 by E.L. Keith and turned into a resort.  This photo was taken near the entrance, circa 1950.  The man on the left is Hobbs Bright, who was mayor of Cave Springs for 10 years.  Mr. Bright is the great grandfather of Missi Bright Martin, who provided us this photo.  On the right is E.L. Keith, who purchased the property in 1947.

E.L. Keith “enlarged the lake, built a new dam, now part of Highway 112, and named it Lake Keith.   He wrote in his 1982 autobiography that he purchased WW II barracks from Camp Crowder in Neosho, Missouri, and built a hotel and apartments on the south side of the lake, with a swimming pool and cabins on the north side.  Most of his amenities were ones he repeated later in Bella Vista, including a trout farm, restaurant, skating rink and miniature golf course.  Keith moved his family to Arkansas and officially opened Lake Keith in 1950, then helped build the Lake View Baptist Church on property that he donated across the street from the lake.”  Read the full article here:  http://beautifulbellavista.com/history/historyperspective4.htm