WATER…this invaluable natural resource has played a significant role in the history of human settlement and civilization. Naturally, the springs and creeks of the Illinois River Watershed in northwestern Arkansas and northeastern Oklahoma have been the lifeblood of our communities for generations. With your help, we continue to celebrate the importance of water in our surroundings and to develop the Watershed Sanctuary to serve and to inspire the community well into the next century.
Long before Cave Springs became a town, life thrived and revolved around the cool, clear waters coming from Cave Springs Cave. Pre-historically, the Osage Indians traveled by foot all over northwestern Arkansas to hunt and forage, and they were known to make stops in areas with reliable, clean spring water. It is highly likely that they discovered and utilized the springs in the area that is today known as Cave Springs.
European migrants began settling here in the 1830s. At that time, the spring still flowed freely from the cave all the way to its confluence with Osage Creek. In 1852, Elijah Allen, one of the first settlers of Cave Springs, built an earthen dam on this spring in order to power a sorghum mill. Mr. A.A. Bartlett and family purchased the property in the late 1800s and built a lovely home on the bluff overlooking the valley and the town. During this time period, the spring became widely known as Bartlett’s Spring.
Early settlers of Cave Springs spent a lot of time by the spring, even in their Sunday best!
Soon after Mr. Bartlett’s son, Wilton, assumed ownership of this property in the early 1900s, the earthen dam built by Elijah Allen broke, so Bartlett installed a new concrete dam in 1914 and named the resulting lake “Loch Lono” after his young daughter, Lono Bartlett.
Visitors to the Watershed Sanctuary in November 2013 stood on top of Bartlett Dam, which was built by Wilton Mortimer Bartlett 100 years ago.
The lake maintained this name until Mr. E.L. Keith purchased the property in 1947, renaming it “Lake Keith” and converting it into a fishing resort that attracted visitors from all over the region. For approximately 20 years, the city’s drinking water supply came directly from the cave spring and was managed by Mr. Keith.
This aerial photograph of the Lake Keith Resort shows apartment buildings, a swimming pool, a skating rink, and other amenities that are no longer on the property.
For several years following the demise of the Lake Keith Resort, the lake property sat abandoned. Many folks moved to Cave Springs without any context for the namesake of their new home. Unbeknownst to many, a cave spring was nestled into the hillside just a quarter mile from the major highway through town.
In 2012, this property was purchased by the Illinois River Watershed Partnership. The property now serves as a base for education in preserving, protecting and restoring our watershed. This initiative has been endorsed and supported by numerous partners and sponsors who share our passion for this mission. The public venues of the Illinois River Watershed Sanctuary and Watershed Learning Center are a collaborative effort among diverse stakeholders, and they represent an investment in conservation, water quality and watershed education.
September 2014: Environmental Science students from Haas Hall Academy participate in a watershed education program at the Watershed Sanctuary.
Obviously, the Illinois River Watershed Sanctuary has had a rich lineage of previous owners, uses, and titles. Historically, the lake on this property has changed names with each major change in ownership, and we are looking to carry that tradition into the future.
Student leaders from Venezuela and Colombia pose at the Cave Springs Water Wheel Historic Monument at the Watershed Sanctuary, where a time capsule will be installed on Saturday, Nov. 8, 2014, to celebrate the centennial year of the lake on the property.
Here’s where our stakeholders come in (yes, that means you!). It’s your turn to become a part of the history of our watershed by participating in the Grand Re-Opening of the Lake on Saturday, November 8.
On Saturday, November 8, 2014, the Illinois River Watershed Partnership will hold a “Grand Re-Opening of the Lake” to celebrate the centennial year of this lake’s existence and the past century of conservation and stewardship in the Illinois River Watershed. The public is invited to the Watershed Sanctuary from 11 AM to 4 PM for kayaking, fishing, archery, hiking, the 2014 Illinois River Salon art show, a time capsule dedication, and the official announcement of the new name of the lake. We hope to see you there!